Sunday, February 24, 2013

Fruit Tree Planting

I bought some Patriot Blueberry plants, and three apple, pear, and self-pollinating plum tree seedlings.  All were very young plants.  I got these plants at tractor supply for a low price.  When I got home, I found out why.  Although the plants had some leaves, the plant did not appear to have much if any root structure on the plant.  There was no root ball, only a loosely wrapped mulch inside the plastic container.

I tried to plant these anyway.

I dug large yard square holes of sufficient depth. I mixed compost, mulch, and our red clay soil in the hole. Then, I dug a hole for the plant.  I then packed it down and built a mound to protect the plants.  I mulched it with about four inches of mulch.  Rain is expected tomorrow.

I updated my zone one garden plan diagram with the new plants.


No comments:

Post a Comment