Saturday, March 30, 2013

More Spring Planting Update

I bought and planted Comfrey Blocking 4 roots on Friday.  These roots came from Nantahala Farm.  A note said that they sell Blocking 4 instead of Blocking 14 because the plant tastes better to their animals (not bitter).  I planted about 15 roots around the property as indicated on the list.

The comfrey we planted last fall still has not emerged.  It has been consistently cold, but maybe the next few nights will stay above freezing which will help the plants start their journey into spring.

We also planted two pears and two apple trees I bought at Stone Avenue Nursery.  The Pear trees were $20 each.  They came in ten gallon buckets.  One of them already has a few flowers.  One pear was an asian pear, and the other was a Barlette pear.

The apple trees ($15 each) were a Jonagold and another Winesap.  They were in 7 gallon buckets.

The images of the planting locations are shown below.

For the comfrey, I planted them about four to six inches deep.  I dug out a hole in the grass and tossed in some one year old horse manure compost.

For the fruit trees, I dug out a deep wide hole and mixed in compost, top soil, and a soil amendment we bought at 5th Season, I think greensand.






No comments:

Post a Comment