Monday, September 8, 2014

Fall planting and preparation of Swales, Beds

Zone 1 Garden

Starting with zone 1 garden: Cleaned up three beds by pulling grass. I used a fork to loosen the soil first. I was able to pull clumping grass, but the rhizominous Bermuda was breaking off sub soil. That usually means that a rhizome is ready to start growing a new plant sub soil. I prepped the two beds below the white mulberry tree thoroughly.

Then, I planted in the northern-most bed garlic and onion down the center. These will be harvested next spring. On the outside of the bed I planted mostly Kale, several varieties from Sow True Seed.

The same drill for the second mulberry bed. Also planted some lettuce in it, and more kale. Plan is to get some Kale and lettuce this fall.

I covered the entire bed with mulch obtained from cleaning out the goat pen house and paddock.  Used an entire golf cart load in the garden.

I weeded and mulched the U bed, and tossed some of the mulch onto the herb spiral. I only pulled grass from the northern part of the U bed. Probably need to get into the southern section. Still need work on the tomato beds. They look to be played out for the year.

Swales

Planted 2 lbs of buckwheat into the orchard swale.  No mulch yet. Need to spread some more straw though.

Planted the remaining 1 lb into the western pasture swale.  Got the eastern side done, but ran out of seed after about 1/2 way down the northwestern side. Still need to plant buckwheat into the southwestern section.

Orchard Perennials

I bought two $1 plants at Lowes. I planted an Aster bush and blue sage plants just below the goat pen. Hopefully they will grow. The Aster was root bound.

We received a nice rain last night so hopefully the seeds will germinate.

No comments:

Post a Comment