Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Executing Garden Design Plan

I started work on preparing the garden for next spring's planting season by digging five post-holes and beginning construction of the vermiculture worm bin.

The post hole digging was disturbing in that I encountered ryzomes of what appeared to be bermuda grass growing in the lasagna garden above and below the cardboard layer we installed this fall.  This is not a good sign.

I was able to loosely install the new posts in accordance with the garden plan above.  Also, used cinderblocks to build the beginning of the vermiculture compost bin.  I dug down a bit into the soil before placement of the blocks.  Still need to do some leveling work on the blocks.  It looks like I will need to stack the cinderblocks at least two high to make the bin deep enough.

I would like to create a pathway wide enough to get a wheelbarrow around the bin and past the raised beds planned on either side.  The pathway would facilitate loading horse manure into the vermiculture compost bin.  It is going to be a tight fit if I continue with the plan to install a trellis and raised bed along the north side of the worm bin.  I may need to modify the plan and limit the raised bed at that part of the trellis system. Or, consider a gap in the trellis system around the bin.

No comments:

Post a Comment