Monday, January 28, 2013

Cinderblock Vermiculture Compost Bin

I dug out a rectangular area as shown to the left in the pink.  Inside, I placed cinderblocks.  The blocks are higher on the north side of the garden.  They are stacked two high.  However, I was three blocks short of the number needed so I will need to buy some from one of the supply stores.

Inside, I dumped two loads of nearly pure horse manure. I'll probably add one more load.  The manure will begin composting in the next few weeks. Hopefully, by the time the red wriggler worms arrive, it will be cool enough for the worms to go to town on the manure.

My blocks are not secured with mortar.   I am going to need to build some kind of ramp structure so I can roll the wheelbarrow on top to dump manure into the system.  I think if I placed posts and a beam on both the east and west side of the bin, I could put hinges on the beam.  Then, I could roll the wheelbarrow on top of the roof and maneuver it into position to dump on either side as needed depending on where the worms are working. That means I'll probably need to put a 2 x 4 across the middle of the structure as well.

I will draw some plans and post them when I get it more finanized in my brain.

No comments:

Post a Comment