Saturday, February 9, 2013

Planting Dates Calculations

I created a spreadsheet to help me manage planting and harvest dates planning.  One problem we had last year was my enthusiasm in planting everything at once. That meant our harvest came all at the same time. This year, I will try to exhibit patience and spread out my plants so that the harvest takes place in succession.

The spreadsheet, which is a work in progress, works as follows:


  1. I added my list of vegitables and plants.
  2. Categorized them by method of planting (direct, starting indoors, or sets).
  3. Used seed starting table in MiniFarming, Self Sufficiency on 1/4 Acre, Brett L. Markham (Skyhorse Publishing 2010) and the Sow True Seeds (Asheville) Planting Guide to determine dates for actions in cultivating the variety.
  4. Back dated the dates based upon the last frost date for my area (5/11/13) by using the spreadsheet formula bar.
  5. Used the same resources above to figure out probable days to harvest and then used the spreadsheet for calculating the dates based on that data.  

No comments:

Post a Comment